Friday, January 22, 2010

Another Pathetic Response From Todd Tiahrt

Todd Tiahrt will not protect women in the pending healthcare legislation.

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the inclusion of abortion services in healthcare reform legislation. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

I must respectfully disagree with you on this issue. I believe that God is the giver of life, that every life is sacred and should be protected, from conception to natural death. I cannot, in good conscience, support any healthcare reform legislation that provides taxpayer coverage for abortions. While abortion has been made legal in this country, an overwhelming majority of Americans do not want their tax dollars to pay for abortion. I strongly agree with this policy. Excluding abortion from the healthcare bill would not outlaw the practice, it would merely protect taxpayers from funding abortions.

The House passed H.R. 3962, the healthcare reform bill, on November 7, 2009. Included in the bill was an amendment that prevents federal funding from being used for abortion, or from going to benefits packages that include abortion. However, it does still allow individuals who wish to use their own private funds to purchase supplemental insurance that covers abortions. I voted in favor of this amendment, which passed by a vote of 240-194. H.R. 3962 is currently awaiting consideration in the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to call on me or Richard Henkle of my Washington, D.C. staff. It is an honor to serve the people of Kansas in the United States Congress.

Best regards,

Todd Tiahrt
Member of Congress

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: